The hidden history and beauty of Algeciras Bay is little-known. The Nature Park of the Strait begins in Punta San Gracia, only at a 10 min distance from the Algeciras Real Club Náutico.
Continuing towards Getares beach, we find the old Whaling Factory, created by Norwegians in 1920 and closed in 1927. This place now abandoned, is a living testimony of what should never have happened and a lesson for the next generations. According to 1923 archives from the Marine Ministry, in just one year’s time, the Spanish Whaling company killed 595 Whales and 47 Sperm Whales between Gibraltar and Cape Esparel (Morocco). In six years’ time, 3.609 Fin Whales and 345 Sperm Whales were slaughtered. Almost all the Cetaceans in the area were annihilated and the Company closed. 20 years later in 1950, the Cetacean population had recovered and the Whaling Company reopened, until the resources were gone again, obliging the Company to close its doors in the early 60’s.
As we continue our boat trip, we will pass the Punta Carnero Lighthouse, built in 1864 to illuminate the entry of the Algeciras Bay at Bajo de la Perla. Then from the sea, we see the Isla Cabrita, favourite nesting site of the Yellow-legged gull.